System Operations Training
387-01 Energy Production and Transfers
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the elements associated with the production and transfer of energy in power systems.
- Identify the fundamentals of energy production and transfer
- Describe the factors of division of load between generators
- Describe how power systems are operated in parallel
387-02 Transmission Operations
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to understand the fundamentals and basic control strategies of transmission systems.
- Identify the basic functions and limitations of a transmission system in a power grid
- Identify common transmission line voltages and components
- Describe how reactive power affects the transmission system
- Describe basic Bulk Electrical System Load characteristics and categories
- Describe the basic practice of power flow control on a transmission system
387-03 Economic Power System Operations
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to recognize the system conditions contributing to or negatively impacting stable operations and inefficient generation unit loading.
- Identify the differences between fixed and variable costs
- Describe the efficient operation of modern generating units
- Describe economic generator loading
- Describe the effects of varying fuel costs
- Describe economic factors associated with the following types of generation:
- Solar and Wind
- Describe losses on a transmission system
- Describe the economic interchange of power
387-04 Power System Control Elements
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the elements required to control Power Systems within defined parameters.
- Identify common power system control parameters
- Describe Frequency Control
- Describe Automatic Generation Control
- Describe the basic concept of interconnected operation
- Identify common types of Tie-Line operation
- Describe Tie-Line Bias
- Identify the elements of Area Control Error (ACE)
- Describe Accumulated Frequency Error
387-05 Interconnected Energy Accounting
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the basic concepts associated with accounting for energy transferred between to Power Systems.
- Identify the purpose of energy accounting
- Identify common metering arrangements
- Identify how Power Flow is measured
- Identify fundamentals of Interchange Negotiations
- Identify fundamentals of Interconnected Energy Accounting
- Identify fundamentals of Inadvertent Energy accounting
387-07 Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Systems (SCADA)
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the basic control and communication functions performed by Master Units and Remote Terminal Units of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition systems.
- Identify fundamental concepts of SCADA applications in a Bulk Electrical System setting
- Identify fundamentals of control and supervision functions performed by SCADA Master Units and Remote Terminal Units
- Identify methods of communication between SCADA Master Units and Remote Terminal Units
- Select basic operations performed by SCADA Master Units
- Select basic operations performed by SCADA Remote Terminal Units
- Identify how SCADA systems perform operations logging functions
- Identify common supporting applications performed by SCADA systems in a Bulk Electrical System setting
387-10 Power System Restoration
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the basic concepts associated with power system restoration such as terms and critical issues.
- Identify fundamental concepts of power system restoration
- Identify common causes of system blackouts and separations
- Identify critical power system restoration issues
- Identify specific considerations of transmission system restoration