Motor Control and Protection Training
411-01 Introduction to Motor Controls
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to draw a simple motor control circuit and describe relative ladder logic.
- Identify symbols used in control circuits and describe the functions they represent
- Describe input and output devices and identify where they are placed in the circuit
- Describe the function of a manual control circuit
- Explain the difference between a semiautomatic and an automatic circuit
- Describe the path of flow through a motor control circuit drawing
411-02 Motor Protection and Fault Diagnosis
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to explain the difference between internal and external motor faults. In addition, you will be able to select the proper overcurrent and short circuit protection devices for motor branch circuits.
- Explain demands affecting motor branch circuits
- Identify the major parts of a motor branch circuit
- Identify characteristics of NEMA motor classifications
- Explain the effects of voltage and frequency deviation
- Identify common faults and diagnosis of AC devices
411-03 Motor Control Troubleshooting
When you complete this lesson, you will understand the basics of troubleshooting motor control circuits.
- Describe the steps for effective troubleshooting
- Discuss how breaking down complex circuits to simple ones assists in isolating problems
- Describe how to use wiring diagrams and schematics to locate problems in a circuit
411-04 Motor Control Centers
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to explain the function of MCCs, common components of an MCC, and the difference between common classifications and their associated wiring schemes.
- Identify the principles of motor controls
- Identify common motor control power supplies
- Explain the need for circuit protection
- Identify common circuit protection devices
- Identify common components used in motor control centers
- Identify common National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) wiring classes and types