Bolted Joints Training
229-01 Bolted Joints
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe commonly used bolt types and grades and discuss their proper use. You will be able to list common modes of joint failure and identify some preventive measures.
- Identify and describe commonly used types of bolts
- Explain proper tightening of flange bolts
- Define bolt preload and discuss methods of controlling the preload of a fastener
- Describe how to identify the grade of a bolt
- Describe failure modes of bolted connections
- Define locking mechanisms used on fasteners
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the design and purpose of O-rings. You will also be able to discuss how to use them successfully.
- Describe the function of an O-ring
- Explain the sealing of an O-ring
- Describe the two main types of O-ring sealing applications
- List some considerations when using an O-ring in a vacuum sealing application
- Identify various materials used in the production of O-rings
- Discuss common failure modes and troubleshooting these failures
- Describe proper techniques for installing and caring for O-rings
229-03 Making Gaskets
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe different types of gaskets and explain common methods for making gaskets from stock materials.
- Identify different gasket materials and describe conditions for their use
- List the three flange face types generally available
- Describe three common methods for making gaskets
- Explain methods for locating bolt holes on gaskets
- Explain the proper use of a gasket cutter
When you have completed this lesson, you will be able to describe the design and identify the purpose of various types of fasteners used in industrial facilities.
- Define the purpose of a fastener
Identify and describe various types of each of the following:
- Fastener head designs
- Retaining rings
229-05 Packing Material Use and Installation
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe what packing is and identify common packing designs, components, and construction. In addition, you will be able to explain general procedures for installation and removal of packing from pumps and valves.
- Discuss the need for pump and valve packing
- Identify types of packing and explain variables considered in packing selection
- Describe components of packing glands
- Explain typical procedures for removal of pump and valve packing
- Explain typical installation procedures for pump and valve packing
229-06 Mechanical Seals Use and Installation
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe how mechanical seals work and identify the features of commonly used seal types. In addition, you will be able to explain proper seal care.
- Describe the operation of mechanical seals
- Recall some advantages and disadvantages of mechanical seals
- Describe a typical stationary mechanical seal
- Describe a typical rotating mechanical seal
- Identify the difference between a balanced and an unbalanced mechanical seal
- Describe some ways to properly care for mechanical seals
- Identify some common causes of mechanical seal leakage
- Explain the steps typically employed to install and remove mechanical seals