Diesel Power Plant Operations Training
581-01 Diesel Engines for Power Generation
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the design and operation of a diesel engine. In addition, you will be able to explain the importance of the diesel generator.
- Describe the theory behind the basic operation of a diesel engine
- Identify the major components of the diesel engine and explain the function of each
- Describe what happens during each of the following operating cycle events:
- Identify the difference between a two-stroke and four-stroke diesel engine
- Discuss the role of the diesel generator in our society
581-02 Diesel Engine Support Systems
When you complete this lesson, you will understand the operation and importance of the supporting systems that make the diesel engine run and operate efficiently.
- Describe the diesel engine cooling system
- Explain the importance and function of the lubrication system used in the diesel engine
- Describe how the fuel system stores, cleans, and delivers the fuel to the diesel engine
- List the components of the diesel engine’s air intake and exhaust systems and identify their functions
581-03 Diesel-Powered Generation
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe applications for diesel powered generators and explain the effects they have on society and the environment.
- Describe where, and under what circumstances, diesel powered generation is used
- Identify benefits to society provided by a diesel powered generator
- Discuss the importance of installing and using diesel powered generators
- Describe the features of the most common type of generator and explain how it works
581-04 Diesel Power Plant Operations
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe basic diesel power plant operations.
- Explain how to prepare the unit for start-up
- Explain how to energize the station service supply
- Describe on-load operations monitoring
- Walk through a typical shutdown procedure
581-05 Diesel Plant Control Systems and Protective Devices
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the design and function of a typical control panel and identify its primary components. You will also be able to explain the importance of the protective devices built into the system.
- Describe a typical control panel
- Explain the operation of some of the generator controls
- Describe a remote operation and explain how it works
- Identify some of the hazardous machine conditions
- Discuss protective devices and identify what they protect
581-06 Diesel Plant Routine Maintenance
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe routine diesel inspections and discuss their contribution to safe and efficient operations.
- Identify the standard timeframes associated with the routine inspections of diesel plant systems
- Explain how routine inspections affect outages and downtime
- Describe the maintenance performed on each of the following:
- Prime mover
- Generator and exciters