Plant Electrical Systems Training
560-01 Main Transformers
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the overall design and function of a main station transformer. In addition, you will be able to discuss systems and inspections related to transformer protection.
- Explain the purpose of a main station transformer
- List major components of a main transformer and identify their individual functions
- Describe the use of protective devices associated with the main transformer
- Discuss some safety considerations when working around a main station transformer
- Produce a checklist for operators performing a routine inspection
560-02 Station Service System
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the general design and operation of a station service system.
- Describe the function of a station service system
- Identify major station service components
- List tasks performed during a routine station service inspection
- Explain the relationship between the essential service system and the station service system
- Identify essential station service components
- List tasks performed during routine essential service system inspections
560-03 Fuses and Circuit Breakers
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to explain the design and function of commonly used fuses and circuit breakers, and how to test and protect them.
- Identify some applications that employ fuses
- Compare the operation of plug fuses to cartridge fuses
- Discuss factors to consider before replacing a fuse
- Explain the general function of a circuit breaker
- Identify three methods of extinguishing an arc in an air circuit breaker
- Lists commonly used types of circuit breakers and compare their operation
560-04 Protective Relays and Instrument Transformers
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the design and function of various types of protective relays and instrument transformers used to protect electrical circuits and equipment.
- Identify the principles behind the operation of protective relays
- Identify different types of protective relays
- Identify protective relay operating indicators
- Identify the principles behind the operation of instrument transformers
- Compare the uses of potential transformers and current transformers
560-05 Equipment Disconnects and Grounding
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the design and function of disconnects used to isolate electrical circuits. You will also be able to explain some methods of grounding plant equipment.
- Explain the purpose and operation of disconnects
- List various types of disconnects and describe their use
- Explain the purpose of grounding
- Describe various grounding techniques
- Identify advantages of neutral grounding
- Discuss safety precautions taken when working with disconnects and grounding