Refining Operations Training
705-01 Refinery Overview and Configuration
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify and discuss basic refinery purposes and operations, as well as recall the different configurations used in modern refining.
- Explain the role of a refinery
- Describe the purpose of each of the following basic refining processes:
- Discuss the various configurations used in refining:
- Medium conversion
- High conversion
705-03 Crude Unit
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the crude unit and its major components. You will also be able to identify and discuss the process of crude oil distillation.
- Discuss the basic principles of the crude unit
- Describe the following major components and processes of the crude unit:
- Atmospheric distillation column
- Vacuum distillation column
- Describe the products produced by the crude unit’s processes
705-05 Catalytic Reformer
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to define what catalytic reforming is, discuss the basic chemistry involved in reforming, and identify and describe the catalytic reforming process and components.
- Discuss naphtha and its chemical properties
- Describe the two methods of catalytic reforming:
- Semi-regenerative catalytic reformer
- Continuous catalyst regeneration
- Discuss the process and equipment used in catalytic reforming
- Identify the inputs and outputs of the catalytic reformer
705-07 Fluid Catalytic Cracking (In Production)
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to define what fluid catalytic cracker is, discuss the principles of cracking, and identify and describe the fluid catalytic cracking process and components.
- Discuss cracking and the catalysts used in fluid catalytic cracking
- Discuss the major components that make up the fluid catalytic cracking unit
- Describe the process of fluid catalytic cracker
- Identify the inputs and product outputs of the fluid catalytic cracker
705-09 Coker Operations (In Production)
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to define what a coker unit is, describe its inputs and outputs, and identify coker unit processes and components.
- Discuss thermal cracking and its use in the coking unit
- Describe the three types of coking units:
- Delayed Coker
- Fluid Coker
- Discuss the process and equipment used in the delayed coker unit
- Identify the inputs and outputs of the delayed coker unit
705-11 Gasoline Blending
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe what gasoline blending is, discuss the process to blend gasoline and why blending plays such an important role in refinery operations, and describe the significance of octane and gasoline additives in the gasoline blending process.
- Explain the basics of gasoline blending
- Discuss the different blendstocks and additives used in gasoline blending
- Describe the process of gasoline blending
- Discuss common blending quality concerns in gasoline blends
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify and discuss what gas sweetening is and what role amines and solvent have in the sweetening process, and the process and equipment associated with a sweetening plant.
- Explain the purpose of gas sweetening
- Describe the purpose and operation of each of the following components:
- Inlet separator
- Contactor column
- Flash tank
- Heat exchanger
- Regenerator column
- Reflux condenser
- Reflux accumulator
- Discuss the types and uses of amines and solvents
705-15 Sulfuric Acid Plant (In Production)
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to define what a sulfur plant is, discuss the process most commonly used for sulfur recovery, and identify and describe the system components used in this process, the uses of elemental sulfur, and regulatory issues surrounding the production of sulfur.
- Discuss hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and its role in refining
- Describe the Claus process for sulfur recovery
- Discuss the equipment and components used in the sulfur recovery process
- Identify the uses and concerns associated with sulfur recovery