Environmental Awareness Training
150-01 Environmental Awareness
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify ways your awareness can reduce the environment impact of various processes and tasks. In addition, you will be able describe the process of designing and implementing an environmental management system (EMS) and discuss the overall goals of waste minimization and pollution prevention programs.
- Identify the primary reasons for developing an environmental policy
- Discuss common situations in which your environmental awareness can positively impact water and air quality
- Describe ways to protect the environment when handling solid and hazardous waste, petroleum products, and substances such as PCB and asbestos
- Describe the stages involved in the development of an environmental management system
- Discuss the purpose of the National Waste Minimization Program
- Identify common benefits of waste minimization and pollution prevention programs
150-02 Stormwater Regulations and Pollution Prevention Plans
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe ways that stormwater runoff can impact the environment. In addition, you will be able to discuss stormwater regulations and explain how to effectively develop a stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWPPP).
- Identify major industrial sources of stormwater discharges
- Discuss stormwater regulations implemented by the NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Identify the components of a stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWPPP)
- Describe the steps to produce and maintain an SWPPP
150-03 Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasures
At the completion of this lesson, you will be able to describe the use of spill prevention, control, and countermeasure plans. In addition, you’ll be able to discuss common practices for preventing, responding to, and reporting spills.
- Outline SPCC (spill prevention, control, and countermeasures) regulation guidelines
- Explain how common secondary containment is used to prevent spills
- Describe spill response and reporting tactics and procedures
- Discuss the importance of performing visual inspections and routine maintenance