Signal Transmission and Conversion Training
615-01 Signal Transmission
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to provide a general overview of how mechanical, analog, digital, pneumatic, electrical, fiber optic, and wireless systems are used to transmit signals in industrial control loops.
You will also be able to convert measured values into corresponding transmission values, and transmitted values back into measured values.
- Compare analog and digital signal transmission
- Describe the operation of pneumatic signal transmission systems
- Identify several varieties of electric signal transmission systems
- Describe the following types of signal transmission:
- Explain how to convert between measured values and transmitted values
615-02 Basic Principles of Industrial Transmitters
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the basic function and operation of pneumatic and electric transmitters. You will also understand the formula relating transmitter outputs to inputs.
- Explain the need for transmission of process signals in industrial facilities
- Describe the basic operation of each of the following:
- Pneumatic transmitters
- Electrical transmitters
- Variable inductance transmitters
- Calculate transmitter outputs from a given input
615-03 Smart Transmitters
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the basic design, operation, and features of smart transmitters. You will also understand additional functionality available through the use of intelligent transmitters.
- Describe the basic operation of a smart transmitter
- List some advantages of smart transmitters
- List some disadvantages of smart transmitters
- Discuss the additional capabilities supplied by intelligent transmitters
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to discuss the function of a transducer and describe types of conversions transducers perform. You will also be able to explain the operating principles behind the most common types of transducers.
- List various types of transducers and identify their function
- Describe I/P transducer operating mechanics
- Describe P/I transducer operating mechanics
- Discuss the basic principle behind capacitive pressure transducer operation
- Define stress and strain; explain how their relationship is used in a variable resistance sensor
- Discuss the basic operating principle behind variable frequency sensor operation
- Identify the purpose of A/D (analog to digital) and D/A (digital to analog) converters