Belt Drive Maintenance Training
202-01 Introduction to Belt Drive Maintenance
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to knowledgeably discuss the general use and maintenance of belt drive systems.
Define common belt drive terminology including:
- Belt pitch length
- Center distance
- Arc of contact
- Speed ratio
- Sheave, driven sheave, driver sheave, idler sheave, and sheave pitch diameter
- Identify advantages and disadvantages of belt drive systems
- Explain basic techniques for proper belt drive tensioning
- Describe some ways to alter a belt’s arc of contact
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to explain the design and use of the most common variations of V-belts.
- Describe how a V-belt transfers power
Discuss the following types of V-belt sizing:
- High capacity
- Light duty
- Identify specialized V-belts
- Describe the construction of V-belts
202-03 Positive Traction Belt Drives
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the major components and proper operation of positive traction drive belt systems used in an industrial facility.
- List advantages of positive traction belt drive systems
- Describe the sheave design used on these systems
- Describe positive traction belts
- Explain proper belt tensioning and identify the effects of over-tensioned and under-tensioned belts
202-04 Sheave Maintenance
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the design and operation of sheaves and explain basic techniques employed to maintain them.
- Describe the construction of V-Belt sheaves
- Describe the construction of positive traction belt sheaves
- Discuss design and methods used with manually adjusted, variable speed sheaves.
- Explain the principle of operation behind spring-loaded, adjustable, variable speed sheaves
- Explain how to align sheaves using a straightedge
- State the reason for adjustable sheave lubrication
202-05 Introduction to Conveyor Systems
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify basic conveyor designs and explain how various general configurations are used to move different products and materials from point to point.
- Describe a basic conveyor
- Identify three types of gravity conveyors
- Identify two types of power conveyors
- Explain the difference between a material handling belt conveyor and a bulk material handling conveyor
- Describe the key feature common to all automated roller conveyors
- Recall the four most common automated roller conveyor belt drives
202-06 Conveyor System Designs
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the components of a typical belt conveyor used in an industrial setting. In addition, you will be able to identify the equipment commonly found in large-scale, industrial conveying systems, and describe the purpose of each piece of equipment.
- Discuss the purpose of a drive pulley
- Recall the primary components collectively comprising a typical industrial conveyor drive
- Identify two functions of a snub idler
- Describe the purpose of the adjustment screws on a belt conveyor
- Explain the purpose of the feeders in an industrial conveying system
202-07 Conveyor Belt System Inspection and Operation
When you complete this lesson, you will have the ability to describe the equipment that is used to protect plant personnel and conveying system equipment. In addition, you will be able to list the inspections that should be conducted on conveyor belt systems.
- Discuss the purpose of a safety cord on a conveyor belt system
- Explain the function of a lateral motion switch, when used in conjunction with a conveyor belt
- Describe the difference between overspeed protection and holdback protection, as it relates to conveyor belt operation
- List three checks you should make when inspecting a running conveyor belt
- Discuss the purpose of a belt wiper
202-08 Conveyor Belt Installation and Repair
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the basic technique used to install and adjust new belting on a large industrial conveyor.
- Define splicing
- Describe two common techniques used to splice a conveyor belt together
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of vulcanized splices
- Explain the purpose and method of training a belt