Heat Exchangers Training
223-01 Heat Exchanger Theory
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to explain how heat is transferred from one substance to another via the use of heat exchangers. In addition, you will be able to describe the basic differences between heat exchangers and their supporting equipment.
- Describe the operation of open heat exchangers
- Recall the purposes of a deaerator
- Identify the location of a deaerator in a typical condensate system
- Define convection and explain its relationship to heat exchanger design
- Identify different heat exchanger designs and how they function
- Recall necessary supporting equipment for a heat exchanger
223-02 Open Heat Exchanger Design and Operation
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to explain how open heat exchangers use direct contact to heat condensate and remove non-condensable gases from the condensate. In addition, you will be able to describe the three basic types of open heat exchangers and the operational characteristics of each.
- Describe the operation of open heat exchangers with regard to condensate
- Explain the purpose of a deaerator, and identify the location of a deaerator in a typical condensate system
Describe the operational characteristics of each of the following types of deaerators:
- Recall the purpose of a venting orifice on a deaerator
- Describe the function of pegging steam, and explain how it is used during deaerator start-up and shutdown
- Explain the relationship between the DA storage tank and the net positive suction head to the boiler feed pumps
223-03 Closed Heat Exchangers
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the difference between single and multi-pass heat exchangers, the components of a typical closed heat exchanger, flow types, and common maintenance and troubleshooting procedures.
- Describe the basic components making up a typical shell-and-tube heat exchanger
- Identify the difference between a single pass heat exchanger and a multi-pass heat exchanger
- Define parallel flow, cross flow, and counter-flow in regard to shell-and-tube heat exchanger operation
- Identify common troubleshooting procedures
- Describe common repair techniques