Boiler Feed Pumps Training
555-01 Boiler Feed Pumps and Associated Auxiliary Equipment
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the design and function of a typical boiler feed pump.
- Discuss the purpose and importance of a boiler feed pump
- Describe the boiler feed pump design and operation
- Describe the associated auxiliary equipment
- Explain the use of different drive units
555-02 Boiler Feed Pump Flow Path and Major Components
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the feedwater flow path and describe how various components contribute to its progress.
- Describe the condensate flow to the suction side of the boiler feed pump
- Explain the transition of condensate to “feedwater” and identify where it takes place
- Identify the feedwater’s path after boiler feed pump discharge
- Define what is meant by a “closed loop” system
Explain the role of the following:
- Feedwater heaters
- Flow control valve
- Steam drum
555-03 Boiler Feed Pump Water Supply and Control Systems
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to discuss the value of maintaining proper water levels in the hotwell, deaerator, and steam drum. You will also be able to describe how built-in controls help maintain a balanced system.
- Explain how the condensate and feedwater sides of the process loop are tied together
- Describe the operation of the deaerator level controllers
- Identify the permissives for the boiler feed pump operation
- Describe the function of flow control elements
- Describe the steam drum level gage indicators
- Explain the purpose of the boiler master controller
555-04 Boiler Feed Pump Start-up
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to explain the proper steps to place a boiler feed pump in service.
- Explain the importance of ensuring all conditions and sign-off requirements are met before start-up begins
- Discuss normal start-up of a motor-driven boiler feed pump and describe components associated with this pump
- Discuss normal start-up of a steam-driven boiler feed pump and describe components associated with this pump
- Compare the process of placing a single pump in service to placing two pumps in service
- Identify what permissives will hold out the pump from starting and discuss appropriate responses
- Explain the role of a control room operator in starting the boiler feed pump
555-05 Boiler Feed Pump Daily Operations
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe routine tests associated with the boiler feed pump and explain the importance of performing them regularly. You will also be able to explain what steps may be taken in response to test results.
- Describe the routine inspections performed daily on the boiler feed pump
- Identify tests performed on the boiler feed pump and explain their importance
- Discuss the steps an operator may take in the event of a boiler feed pump trip
- Describe the procedure to shut down a boiler feed pump under normal conditions