Hydroelectric Power Plant Operations Training
583-01 The Hydroelectric Role in the Power System
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to explain the advantages of hydroelectric power and describe the significant contributions of hydroelectric energy to the environment and economy.
- Identify hydroelectric contributions
- Examine the roles of hydroelectric power within the power system
- Review specific advantages of hydroelectricity
583-02 Hydroelectric Power Stations
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the major components in a hydroelectric power station. You will also examine the operations of hydroelectric power stations, describe variations among them, and explain the components common to each hydropower generating station.
- Describe a variety of hydroelectric plant construction designs
- Define the principles of hydropower operations
- Explain the purpose of various hydroelectric plant components
583-03 Water Management
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the various issues of water management and their impacts on hydroelectric power generation.
- Explain the importance of inflow forecasting when determining the efficient production of hydroelectric power
- Describe environmental considerations when constructing hydroelectric generating stations
- Examine water management policies
583-04 Hydroelectric Generators
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify and describe the operations of the hydroelectric power generator and the component of the lower unit
- Examine the design characteristics of the penstock, scroll case, and suction tube
- Describe the wicket gate operations
- Characterize a number of turbine types and their uses
- Describe guide and thrust bearings
- Identify stators and generator supports
- Explain generator operations
583-05 Generator Monitoring and Control
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the monitoring and controlling of the generator in hydroelectric generating stations by identifying the various components of the turbine and generator and explaining their functions.
- Explain the operating principles of the turbine generator and their components
- Explain the use of hydraulic forces to control the speed and frequency of a hydroelectric turbine generator
- Identify hydraulic governor components
- Describe the operations of a hydraulic governor
583-06 Hydroelectric Plant Auxiliaries
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the auxiliary systems inside a hydroelectric power plant.
- Explain the fire protection system used in a hydroelectric plant
- Describe the construction and purpose of the packing box
- Explain the operation and purpose of the cooling water system
- Describe the operation of the service air system of a hydroelectric plant
583-07 Operating Electrical Equipment in a Hydroelectric Plant
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the standard procedures for operating electrical equipment in a hydroelectric plant, including lockout/tagout procedures, start-up, and shutdown procedures
- Identify pre-start procedures for electrical equipment within the hydroelectric plant
- Examine precautions and procedures for operating electrical equipment, including lockout/tagout procedures
- Identify the process for the hydroelectric plant’s system start-up and removal from service
583-08 Mechanical Governor
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify components of the mechanical governor and be able to describe its operations.
- Identify major governor components
- Explain governor operations
583-09 Electric Governor
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the evolution of the electric governor, components, functions, and governor operations.
- Recall electric governor evolution
- Identify electric governor components
- Recall electric governor functions
- Identify electric governor operations