Unit Start-up and Shutdown Training
561-01 Preparing for Power Plant Start-ups
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the basic checks that must be performed on plant equipment, including the boiler, turbine, and generator, prior to a power plant start-up.
- Recognize the role an electrical dispatcher plays in preparing for a power plant start-up
- Recall the purpose of determining appropriate ramp rates for starting up the boiler and turbine
List the four basic categories of pre-start checks on each of the following:
- Steam turbine
561-02 Power Plant Start-up Procedures
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the basic concepts and typical tasks associated with putting a fossil fuel-fired power plant online.
Describe the basic steps associated with the following tasks:
- Filling the condensate/feedwater system
- Firing a steam boiler
- Rolling a steam turbine
- Synchronizing a generator to the electrical grid
- Increasing load
- Explain the purpose of turbine preheating
561-03 Preparing for Power Plant Shutdowns
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the basic tasks that must be performed on plant equipment prior to a power plant shutdown.
- List and define the three classifications of power plant shutdowns
- Discuss the purpose of blowing soot and removing ash from the boiler
- Discuss coal system preparations completed prior to a scheduled shutdown
- Explain what four conditions must simultaneously exist while reducing the firing rate on a boiler
- Describe each of the basic tasks associated with ramping-down a turbine/generator
561-04 Power Plant Shutdown Procedures
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe the basic steps associated with taking a fossil fuel fired power plant off-line. In addition, you will be able to explain how operators prepare a power plant for an annual outage.
- Describe the common sequence of steps to remove a pulverizer from service for an extended period of time
Describe the basic steps followed to take each of the following out of service:
- Steam turbine
- Explain how a power plant is prepared for an annual outage