First Aid Training
103-01 First Aid
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to describe common injuries that require first aid treatment and provide aid for such injuries. You will also identify major emergencies requiring the services of emergency personnel and provide initial treatment for such injuries. When providing aid, you will adhere to the universal precautions taken to prevent the transmission of bloodborne pathogens and prevent infections. This lesson satisfies the training requirements for OSHA standard 29 CFR 1910.151 (a) (b).
- Describe and apply minor first aid treatments
- Describe emergency medical treatment
Describe actions taken during a medical emergency to include:
- Physical shock
- Heat exhaustion
- Define bloodborne pathogens (BBP) and provide examples
- Identify the transmission of HBV and HIV
- Identify and apply universal precautions to prevent transmission of bloodborne pathogens
- Identify personal protective measures to prevent BBP infections
103-02 Bloodborne Pathogens
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to identify the diseases commonly caused by contact with bloodborne pathogens. You will also be able to identify safety measures and strategies to protect you from exposure to bloodborne pathogens.
This lesson satisfies the initial and annual training requirements for OSHA standard 29 CFR 1910.1030 (g)(2);(h)(2) and (3).
- Define bloodborne pathogens and identify potentially infectious materials
- List diseases commonly caused by bloodborne pathogens
- Discuss safety measures and strategies to reduce exposure to bloodborne pathogens
- Identify the elements included in an exposure control plan
103-03 First Aid Resuscitation: Choking, CPR, and AED
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to demonstrate how to assist victims using appropriate first aid techniques including the Heimlich Maneuver, CPR, and the use of an AED (Automated External Defibrillator).
Note: This lesson follows American Heart Association recommendations and guidelines. Please verify with your training coordinator this lesson fulfills the necessary training requirements for your industry and position.
- Describe the steps to perform the Heimlich Maneuver
- List the actions in the Cardiac Chain of Survival
- Explain the steps to administer Hands-Only CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
- Describe the steps to administer conventional CPR
- Describe the steps followed when using an AED
103-04 Temperature Related Stress and Illnesses
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to recognize the causes and effects of temperature related stress. In addition, you will be able to identify illnesses associated with temperature related stress.
- Discuss the causes of heat and cold related stress
- Identify the factors for heat and cold related stress
- Describe the major forms of heat and cold illnesses
- Discuss how to treat workers who are suffering from specific heat and cold illnesses
- Explain how to prevent heat and cold illnesses